This Duet started as an exercise in writing patient, unadorned music that allows the performer leeway for interpretation. The original version is for two Cellos, and was recorded one afternoon in May, 2019 at my house by extraordinary musician and my longtime friend Caroline Stinson. I did not want to dictate pulse, so she played both parts without any click or reference, other than her own internal since of time.
When the CoVid-19 quarantines began in March, 2020, I thought this would be a fitting piece to adapt for various combinations of instruments, hoping that it could provide some musical outlet for people. I may add further versions if requested.
- Versions available or coming soon:
- Two Cellos (also works for Two Bassoons)
- Two Violins, Two Alto Flutes, or Violin + Alto Flute
- Two Violas
- Two Flutes
- Clarinet in Bb + Bass Clarinet
- Clarinet in Bb + Cello
- Bass Clarinet + Cello (Bass Clarinet requires low concert “C”)
- Two Bass Clarinets
- Alto Saxophone + Baritone Saxophone
- Two Brass (Part I: Trumpet in Bb/Horn in F/Trombone/Euphonium + Part II: Horn in F/Trombone/Euphonium/Tuba)