The Low Arc of the Sun is a flexible instrumentation version of the band work of the same name, itself part of the five-work Miniature Suite. The work is a wistful chorale, evocative of the short, gray days in midwinter, marked by the low path of the sun above the horizon.
The recording above is of the string orchestra version, created for Jeffrey Grogan and the Texas All-State String Orchestra, premiered at TMEA in San Antonio, TX, in February, 2018.
Info about the full original Miniature Suite for band.
FIVE-VOICE PART LIST:
One player from each of the following five parts is required:
- Flute, Oboe, Clarinet in Bb, Trumpet, or Violin
- Clarinet in Bb, Trumpet in Bb, Eb Alto Sax, or Violin
- Clarinet in Bb, Bb Tenor Sax, Eb Alto Sax, Horn in F, Violin, or Viola
- Bb Tenor Sax, Horn in F, Trombone, Euphonium, Bassoon, or Cello
- Bass Clarinet, Trombone, Euphonium, Bassoon, Eb Baritone Sax, Tuba, Cello, or String Bass
This version also includes optional Piano/Guitar, Timpani, Suspended Cymbal, Bass Drum, Glockenspiel, and Vibraphone parts.